Thursday, October 8, 2009

Freebies...

I'm not sure really how to explain this blog post...you see, we seem to be the family that people like to give things to...for free.
I'm not sure how we have gained this status, but it tends to work very much in our favour.

I was telling my running buddy/dear friend this morning about our latest free thing and she said I should blog about it. So here I am.

Yesterday I was at the No Frills grocery store. I think I must look a little odd grocery shopping in the middle of the day with five kids. Picture a little caravan of people, carts and strollers walking up and down the aisles. First is me, then my 10 yr. old pushes the cart, then my 7 year old pushes the baby in a stroller and behind her is the 8 year old, pushing the 3 year old in a stroller. All very organized...right.

Anyhow, I'm bagging up the groceries and am just about finished when this cute couple (in their 70's I'm guessing) comes up to me, plops a bag in my cart and the man says, "Here. And Happy Thanksgiving." I look at them and am shocked, manage to speak some sort of Thank You and then they are gone. I look in the bag....it's a turkey!!

Just earlier this week I came upstairs from our school room and look out the side door and there are three new hoola hoops sitting there. No idea who brought them, no idea when they were put there.

In a typical month someone, anonymous or no, will drop off a bike, a skateboard, a bag of clothes (not brand new -- but who cares?). I have come to the door and seen a pie on my step. No clue who left it there. I have entered our garage and there in the door way is a bag of baby bedding. This guy at Home Depot gave Nate a bike for the kids. It's weird. It's fabulous!

Anyhow, I'm not sure if it's us -- do we appear to be in need? If so, how do we portray the need for GAP gift certificates and cash? Just kidding...I'm very grateful and it makes life very interesting when you come home and find a parcel at your door. It's fun to try and figure out who dropped it off.

5 comments:

  1. that's so great!! (i'm a little jealous, but in a good way!) I love picturing you in the grocery store with your little line up of ducklings all in a row-

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you SO much for this post..i needed it. We recently had a sermon at church on tithing, and is an area Sam and I are working hard on, but can be a little nerve-wracking...but your post is just a reminder that God takes care of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people leave you stuff because they think you're awesome... and just want a way to get inside the glow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly a God-thing. He knows our needs before we are even aware. The fact people leave things tells me two things: they are being obedient to the Spirit of God (whether they know it or not) and you, being gracious, receive it kindly. Sounds like something I would read about in scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do NOT look like you are in need. If I had to guess I would say that the sparkle you have and the joy you exude makes people want some too...and nothing brings joy like giving!!!

    ReplyDelete