Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My daughter is the only girl in our family. She is also the only grand-daughter on both my and my husband's side of the family. There are boys everywhere and in most cases, she handles it very well.

This week my sister took three of my boys for a sleep over with her two boys. My little girl was left out. Not on purpose, of course, but left out nonetheless. In chatting with my mom about it, she offered to have her for a sleep over, go shopping and do some fun stuff. It was a very good plan.

Since she is my mom's only grand-daughter, my mom decided it was high time she start spoiling this little girl. Keep in mind that my daughter is not a real "gift person" ~ which really goes against all the women on my side of the family. Gifts don't mean a lot to her ~ she values quality time over stuff.

So last night my mom decided to take her out to the mall and buy her something just for her ~ something girly so that the boys wouldn't be jealous. My mom had in mind a piece of jewelry...perhaps a bracelet or something. They traveled all over the mall looking for the perfect piece. It wasn't there.

They went back to my mom's to think about it. This morning they were going to go out and make a purchase. Kylie was feeling bad about her Granny spending money on her. She kept saying, "Don't spend your money on me, Granny. You still have to buy the turkey for Christmas!" My mom assured her that she had money enough for the turkey and a gift for Kylie.

When Kylie got up this morning my mom asked her how she felt about the jewelry ~ had she decided yet?
Kylie's response: "Can we go to TSC?"
For those of you who don't know, TSC stands for Tractor Supply Company. There is no jewelry in this store. There are tractors, bird seed, work gloves etc.
My mom figured she couldn't fight the genes in my little girl, so she agreed to go......instead of a cute little bracelet, can you guess what my sweet girl chose as her gift from her Granny?

It has no silver and no gold. No sparkles. No pink. Not even shiny.

She chose...a baseball cap. A blue Toronto Maple Leafs baseball cap. And....a car. A model of a Mustang. And she is very happy.

You know, you just can't fight it. She is who she is. A sweet, kind and loving little girl ~ but man, I have to blame Nate for some of this stuff!

2 comments:

  1. I love your daughter. She is EXACTLY the way i was as a child, but all the adults were bent on FIXING ME.

    I hope that she marries my son!!

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! With all those brothers and boy cousins, it is natural that she likes TSC, eh? My three girls are SO into girly, princess, pink stuff but Kade is OBSESSED with military despite the predominance of girls in our house. He is a walking encyclopedia on the world wars and can't wait to turn 12 so he can go to army (not air - despite his pilot dad) cadets). So I have both extremes.

    ReplyDelete