Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Only Sisters Would Do This


My sister is awesome. She is the elder of us two and is truly, the most generous person I know. She also has a very warped sense of humor and when I get her laughing, she has a serious cackle-like laugh. My mom has always said that when we are at a party or in a large group, she can hear us cackling to one another no matter where she is in the room.

Anyhow, my sister and I play this little game. When one of us is in need of something, anything really, from the other, we call each other and start a sort-of "radio program" conversation.

Here's an example:

My sister phones me.

Me: Hello?
Her: Is this Cooking with Erin?
Me: Yes, it is. How can I help you?
Her: We have a caller on line 2 who has a cooking question.
Me: Put her through.
Her: Hello?
Me: Hello! You're on the air. Welcome to Cooking with Erin, how can I help?

And from there, we have a conversation about whatever recipe she needs, advice she requires etc. It makes a boring old question much more interesting.

Here was today's episode:

Me calling my sister.

Her: Hello?
Me: Is this Harrison's Sanity Services?
Her: Yes it is. How can we help?
Me: We have a caller on line 2 who is need of some serious help.
Her: Put her through.
Me: Hello?
Her: Hi! You're on the air. What can I do for you?
Me: Um....I have five kids.
Her: Say no more.
Me: Yeah, I don't think there's much more to say today.
Her: Are they safe? Have you put them in a room together and shut the door?
Me: Yes, I have.
Her: What else do you need?
Me: Sugar. In some liquid and solid form. And quiet. And may be my book.
Her: Well, if you'll give me a few minutes, I can help for sure...

And so goes the conversation, with much laughing and carrying on. And her Sanity Services saved my day by offering to meet me at a park so all the kids could play and we could sip and snack on sugary-things and peacefully pass the afternoon away.

Only a sister knows to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment