Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to school!

So far, so good. We've had two successful days of home-school for the 2008-2009 year. The kids have been motivated and excited about new curriculum and the new year.

Two days of school have passed and I have already experienced tears from a student -- twice. So...I'm looking at a 1:1 ratio of school days to tears. I'm wondering if I can keep this up the entire year -- it's good to have goals and everything. Never let it be said that homeschooling is for wimpy kids...ah no, it takes a special kind of kid to tolerate your mom being your mom and your teacher.

At school, if you mess up reading and pronounce a word wrong, a school-teacher might say, "Oh, try that again, dear." But not at home-school. The mom-teacher can say things like "What?? You messed that word up last time. How many times do I have to tell you?"

Not that I said those words EXACTLY, but that's because it wasn't reading class...it was math.

In actual, true-to-life fact, the first two days have been great. Really. The tears were due to frustration on a math question and then because that same child got caught lying about what she did with her dirty laundry. That could happen to any mother -- homeschool or not.

Jack is, by far, the biggest challenge on the homeschool scene. I don't always want to make my blog about his shenanigans, but in the last two days he's lit his hair on fire and demanded to wear his turtle costume when we went shopping. I'm not kidding. I also had to say the words "Don't ever stab your sister with a spear again." to my 7 year old son. I know I thought my life was boring before I started this blog, and I think it was. But lately, there have been some interesting things going on here.

Despite it all, we keep on. And the homeschooling will continue tomorrow, tears or not. How bad can it really be, right? What are my 3 older children doing right this moment as I type?? Playing school -- and no one is crying. And Jack is running around in the turtle costume...

4 comments:

  1. ok i am LAUGHING so hard here! lit his hair on fire? you have spears in your house?? and I LOVE the turtle costume. if i had one i'd want to wear it shopping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spears, well, they were a gift from a friend who went to Papau New Guinea on a missions trip and brought them back for Nate. Sadly, the next words out of my mouth were "Was it the poison-tipped spear or the other one??" Let it be known that the spears now reside in the attic of the garage.
    Yes, he lit his hair on fire -- that one is too long to explain in here -- he's fine...just missing some bangs. Notice the turtle pic is from the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. rest assured E,
    one of my babies lit his hair on fire yesterday too... and he's 43!
    Fortunately it was the hair on his arm (whilst lighting his mom's BBQ) though he claims that's how he lost all the hair on his head too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously one of the best blogs you could read about home-schooling you should get it psoted in the local home-school league book or whatever.
    I can see so many families signing up. Seriously fair play to you I only got home and the calls of "I'm bored" are ringing in my ears.
    So are you saying the petrol(gas) bombs and other Ulster items of interest should stay here and not be brought as gifts for the kids?

    Let me know as I don't want to go to the trouble of hiking all this stuff just for it to be put in the attic and worse still the garage attic.

    ReplyDelete