Thursday, September 25, 2008

Excuse me, Sir...

We went to the mall today to purchase the required music book for our piano lessons. I dared my 7 year old to do something once we got into the store and to my surprise, he did it.

After we had paid for the book, he went up to the clerk and said, "Excuse me sir, but I was wondering if I could purchase a glockenspiel??" (his exact words) You should have seen the look on the guy's face...he sorta did a confused frown and then it slowly turned into a pleasant and humoured surprise. "No," he said, "I'm afraid we don't carry glockenspiels...and I see we have a comedian in the store."

This little funny spot in our day made me laugh and then, (as any good mother can) it made me concerned. Not worried, oh no, I'd never worry...

My 7 year old son went up to a stranger because I dared him to. He wasn't offered a treat or money, he just did it. Which was funny -- but then I start to think about how easy it was to get him to do that and he isn't even the youngest in our family -- ya know how the babies of the family are typically the ones who will do things to entertain. Nolan is this totally funny kid with this wicked little mischevious sense of humour that has us cracking up at his one liners.

I wasn't like this as a child -- for sure as a teenager and adult I'd do things to get a laugh but NEVER when I was that young. So now I'm a bit worried about what Noles will be like as a teenager -- and even worse, what sort of trouble he and Jack (our real baby of the family) will get into when they are both a bit older. The prophet inside of me foresees Nate and I humbled and humiliated about the pranks and incidents that are ahead -- but I also see us bursting with laughter as these 2 continually keep us entertained.

Oh and by the way -- this is a glockenspiel...

1 comment:

  1. I reckon it is time to get Nolan his own facebook and let him add me as a friend... yes...yes i see that as a very good idea.
    I may have missed something but why is it so funny to ask for a glockenspielly thingy majig?

    ReplyDelete