Thursday, September 25, 2008

Whale Tales


So yesterday, the kids and I went to Marineland with our homeschool group. For those of you who don't know what Marineland is, it's a cheasier, less exciting Sea World. But seeing as my kids have never been to Sea World, Marineland was just great to them.

Ever since a highschool project on marine animals in places of captivity like Marineland, I have been an anti-Marineland person. So when the opportunity arose to take the kids there, I thought we would pass. But then I rethought it and figured they should get a chance to see the animals in real life, while I discreetly point out my views on the place. Some individuals who know me well were shocked that I would actually step foot in a place I had so long been disgusted with...

I thought about wearing a sandwich board with something like "Happiness Is Marineland --except if you're a whale who lives here." But that was too long and I didn't have time to make any signs or sandwich boards. :) On the way there, we road with another family and I could hear my kids in the back, singing the Marineland theme song "Everyone Loves Marineland....except my mom." When the other kids in the van asked them why their mother didn't like it, they casually said "Oh, she feels bad that the belugas have to live in small tanks of chemically treated water." They've heard me at least, but their tone suggested they didn't really believe it...
Alright, I admit that this guy doesn't look sad about his situation, but really, does a beluga ever look sad??

However, it was a beautiful day! The weather was amazing. There were about 90 people from our homeschool group so it made it a cheap and fun day. A regular adult rate is $40 and I got in for $30. The regular child rate is $33 and the kids got in for $10. Not a bad deal at all!

Also, the place was dead. Our homeschool group and a few other families were the only people there. We never waited in line for a ride, just ran right on and got to see every show and every sea creature from fairly close up.

So here we are....riding the rides, feeding and petting belugas, and watching the dolpins and seals do their tricks....
The above ride was a cute little set of viking ships that go around in circles...
Here's Nolan feeding and petting "Andre" the beluga from Russia. They are really cute up close and Andre chatted away to Noles. It was cute -- but that doesn't make it right!! :)

I know you're probably tired of my harping on this already -- but this guy belongs in the Arctic Ocean, not in some small gymnasium sized pool just off the QEW.
Here's the momma and the baby Orcas...

They are beautiful, fascinating and intelligent creatures and it was really cool to see them up close. The boys got drenched at the Killer Whale show when the Momma kicked up some huge waves with her whale tail.

At the end of it all, I asked Nolan what he thought of Marineland. His response: "It was soooo awesome!" And then I said, "And how do you feel about whales living in tanks?"
His response: "Aw, mom, they're probably used to it."

Phooey.

4 comments:

  1. teehee..this is EXACTLY how I am at a zoo..we just took the girls to this little zoo in S'toon and it was so sad! the bear just walking around the same little circle again and again..my poor kids. i'm glad it was fun..i would have loved to be there! are you doing hday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bit hard for you to be taken sriously in your opposition to captivity when you just lined the marineland with $30 for you and whatever for the rest of the clan. I agree to certain extent but I think captive breeding programs are vital in the protection of some species. Like the Zoo here in Belfast is on the side of huge hill and kills you walking round and most of the animals are always hding as they are allowed to go where they want, so they are not forced to look at our ugly mugs all day. I went to detroit Zoo a few years back and the animals seemed to be doing a lot of pacing, then I was at toledo Zoo this year and it seemed to have quite big enclosures.
    So for me it depends what the reason for the captivity is, but I would much rather sea these creatures in their natural enviroment on safari or out diving.
    I think it is time for you to hang up your sandwich board or get of the fence before you get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, and my kids thought theirs was the only mother that hated Marineland. I will happily mention your name whenever they whine about my strident rants about the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing some research on marine bears and wondering what the experts at Marineland have deemed to have the greatest nutritional value for the dear sweet ursa in their natural marine babitat. Must be fresh salmon or some of the other wonderful fish they grow there...
    do tell...

    ReplyDelete