Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Baking

I'm an "ish" baker. I do like to bake but I don't follow directions that well. If the recipe says 2 cups of flour...I put in 2-ish cups of flour. If it says a tablespoon of butter, I toss a glob in the bowl and consider it "tablespoon-ish"

This drives my sister crazy. She is, by personality, a First Born. That means you follow the rules, and if the recipe says 2 cups of flour, then by golly, you fill that 2 cup measurer and then get your knife out and evenly slide it across to cut out any extra.

I, on the other hand, think "If 1 cup of chippits is good -- then 2 is better." And toss handfuls of chippits in the bowl. This rule of thumb is only allowed for certain ingredients: sugar, butter, chippits, skor bits and vanilla. Raisins, nuts, flax seed and other dried fruits do not make the list.

Wanna make your next apple crisp even better? When it comes to the topping of flour, brown sugar and butter...double the butter. Mmmmmm -- so good.

There is one problem with baking like this. Things don't come out the same way every time. I might be a creative baker but not a consistent one.

All this talking about baking, makes me feel like sharing a recipe. Only try this one if you like squares with a soft oatmeal cookie like "crust" smothered in caramel sundae topping, milk chocolate chippits and skor bits. IF you feel an aversion to any of the ingredients I just listed...you can stop reading my blog. :)

Chocolate Toffee Squares

2 cups-ish of flour
2 cups-ish of quick oats
1 cup-ish of br. sugar
1 tsp of baking soda
1 cup of butter -- at least!!(melted)

Mix the first four ingredients in a big bowl and then pour in the butter. Mix it well and then reserve about 1 and 1/4 cups of it for the topping.

Press the rest of the mix in a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 deg. for 12-15 minutes-ish.

While it's baking, take 1 and 1/3 cups of caramel sundae topping and mix in 1/3 cup of flour so it thickens. Get 1 package of milk choc. chippits and 1 package of Skor bits ready to roll (while you're waiting, try taking small pinches of skor bits and dropping them in your mouth followed by small pinches of chippits -- totally tastes like a Skor Bar, eh??)

When the crust is ready, sprinkle the chippits and skor bits evenly over the crust and then pour the sundae topping/flour mix over that. Lick your fingers -- twice.

Sprinkle the last of the "crust" over the top of it...evenly, of course. Bake at 350 deg. for another 20- 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

Yum. If you'd like a sample, I'll have some ready and waiting for you!!

4 comments:

  1. ok i want to taste before I try to make it.

    send to me in the post.
    390 Lenore
    Belle River
    N0R 1A0

    I look forward to the parcel

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! Yes! Yes! Always more butter! There's no question that that is NOT the answer to! (Note to self: buy caramel sunday topping and Skor bar bits immediately!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny, I was going to write on your wall bugging you for your recipe and you killed 2 birds with one stone...not too shabby!!

    Can't wait to make these, I just happen to have caramel sauce and skor bits in my house, ah.. what does that tell you about me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum! ok, this is why i can never make your granola bar recipe as good as you..i'm not even a firstborn, but i MUST have directions. :)

    ReplyDelete