Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cooking Help Wanted!

What the heck do ya do with a "round steak?"

Does anyone have any killer-diller recipes that use this form of beef?? Nate and I bought a bunch of beef from a local farming-friend and we ended up with 3 or so of these big steaks.

The first time I cooked one was a disaster. I guess because the meat has no marbling and no fat on it, it makes it a tough one to cook. Let me tell ya, it's true. I cooked this steak on low in the crock pot with a bunch of bbq sauce and other ingredients and when I pulled it out, it tasted like SAW DUST. No flavour, just dry, choke-me-up, beef. And lots of it.

It all went in the garbage and we got some Hot and Ready Pizza. However, I found another one in the freeze and wondered if there was any recipe that can make this particular cut taste good? If you can help, please do!

3 comments:

  1. It is now 12:30am and I am totally engrossed in the election (not!)
    but while watching the results I decided to check my email. Lo and behold there was one from you! But down on the bottom was this little blog icon which I don't normally click on and yet I was intrigued on what I would find. I loved it! You may think your life is boring but the rest of us "normal" people love to hear what's up with Erin today. I needed a chuckle and you didn't disappoint! Thanks for blogging.
    In answer to your predicament regarding round steak, I may be able to help (imagine that!)I tried this recipe a couple of months ago and was successful with it. Round steak is a tricky piece to cook with. Not nearly enough marbling but certainly enough meat content! Here goes.....

    Take your meat and pound the living daylights out of it..(when you are frustrated with Jack this would be a perfect way to get rid of some of it!)1/4"-1/2" is sufficient. Make up a box of stuffing mix and spread over top of meat. Roll it and wrap with string on the ends (you will have to cut it into 4-5" pieces to fit in pot)Place in crock pot and pour over top 1 cup of beef broth. Cook on low for approx. 8 hours. Yum Yum! Good luck on this one if you decide to try this. It worked well for me....gotta go...the Prime Minister is making his way to the platform...yippee! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, i immediately thought 'crockpot'! and then saw that's exactly what you did..good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky for you I used to work in a butchers! Round steak? never heard of that cut of meat ever!
    Tenderization is needed lots of it like said previously. ten I suggest searing it for 45 secs both sides to lock in the flavour. Now you need to spice it up to taste. add some bisto and water to the crockpot and slowcook that baby until it melts in your mouth. If it doesn't I suggest Jack may have swaped real meat in your freezer for some toy rubber stuff!

    ReplyDelete