Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Musings at the Grocery Store


Tonight the boys and I went to our corner grocery store to hand out brown paper bags for the local Food Bank. We stood in the doorway and offered people a bag so they could fill it up and donate it -- the bin for the Food Drive is right there at the end of the cashier lines so it's fairly easy.

It was funny, actually. First of all, people were much more likely to say yes and take a bag when the boys asked them (rather than me asking them). The other thing we noticed is that the men were MUCH more likely to refuse the bag than the women. Most women said yes (but dumped the bag once inside the store on shelf somewhere).

Overall, it was good experience and the kids thought it was fun. My oldest was much braver and was happy to step in front of a shopper and ask, "Excuse me, would you like a bag to fill for the Food Bank?" My other son was much more shy. However, he found that if he "woo-hoo-ed" right after people said yes, he got a good laugh out of some of them. So the evening went like this...

Boy 1: "Excuse me sir, would you like a bag to fill for the Food Bank?"
Man Customer: "Nope."
(Silence.)
Boy 1: "Excuse me, would you like a bag to fill for the Food Bank?"
Lady Customer: "Sure."
Boy 2: "Wooo Hooo!"

And for about an hour and a half this went on.

I had a great time too. Because it's our local store, I saw lots of people from our old school and soccer league...it was rather social.

All in all it was a good experience...and the food drive bin was a bit more full when we left.

1 comment:

  1. what a great idea er! I've never seen a store do this before, was it your idea? Usually you just dump your groceries in the give-a-way box when you are done shopping. This is so much smarter cause I'm sure it would reap alot more donated food especially with the cute kids woohooing. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete