Monday, December 8, 2008

A Little Festive Rant...


I am seriously irritated by the lack of the word Christmas in the world, or at least in Canada. I know there are other festive holidays being celebrated during this time of year and I'm happy to wish a Happy Hannukah, Merry Ede, Joyful Ramadan, to all those who wish to hear it.

But it feels like the word "Christmas" is taboo in our society and for heaven's sake, it's Christmas time! It's been Christmas time for over 2000 years and now we're going to blot it out of history by calling it Holiday? A holiday can be taken any time of year, a holiday is a break from work, a holiday is a PD day from school. This is CHRISTMAS.

Remember the true Christmas story? The original one that got this whole thing started? The one with a baby, a manger and star?? Where God sent His son? The King of Kings in human form? This is how the whole thing got started. It started being about Jesus and it shouldn't have to be renamed. Walking into stores and reading the flyers with the words Festive, Holiday, and Seasonal is ridiculous. The marketing genius' behind all the big stores want to sell and since Christmas is considered exclusive, they need a broader term to reach bigger demographics. How do they get to decide the name of this day?

On Saturday, I went to Second Cup to buy the tea I love. It's called Christmas Tea. Actually, no it's not...anymore. It's called Holiday Tea. New package, new name.

What other major holidays will we be removing from history for the sake of marketing?? How about St. Patricks Day -- that one is about a saint...that's fairly religious~let's cut it. Oh, and so is St. Valentines Day. Let's not forget about Easter...that one is totally about Jesus again. With all the trouble in our government, Canada Day is probably even being chopped.

The ideal of Christmas, even for those who aren't believers in Jesus, is a wonderful, meaningful time of giving, reflection, gratitude, joy and peace. I know that many, many people don't get to experience it that way, but the ideal should stay the same.

Even St. Nicholas wouldn't have given his gift to those poor daughters if it hadn't been Christmas. So truly, Santa wouldn't even be around if it weren't for Christmas.

The Holiday messages of today are things like, "Get the things you never even wanted." and "Shop, buy, spend!" We stress over what to buy each other when we don't need a thing.

What happened to "Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men?" Is there a loftier, better message out there? I don't think so. Can we bring tidings of comfort and joy rather than those of plastic and fabric?

Christmas is a once a year celebration of family and friends, of giving and receiving, of beautiful music, children's plays, and so much more. I think the best gift we can give our kids is the gift of Christmas. Let's keep the spirit of Christmas alive...sounds a little cheesy, I know! But I'm getting the feeling that Christmas is on the at-risk list these days.

Henceforth, I shall not mention this burr in my saddle again. It's out. I've ranted. And from my family to yours, we wish you a very Merry Christmas. And in the words, of Tiny Tim...

God Bless Us, Everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree.

    Sam has worked in retail for many years and was told he was not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" but that it had to be "Happy Holidays"....well, he never listened to that order, and never once did someone get offended by him saying Merry Christmas.
    Canada is always talking about being big on freedom of speech, but it sure seems to be there is freedom of speech for every religion but Christianity.
    I grew up in a non-christian home who celebrated Christmas. Never once did my family get offended by the word Christmas, or even by an emphasis of Jesus. They came to my church pageants, and knew that was a part of Christmas for me-and if anyone is not religious, it's my family. So seriously, did one person say they were offended, and now we're axing Christmas? The majority of people have no problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sister!!

    I urge you and anyone else who reads that ( i know I have don't have a large audience) to make sure and say Merry/Happy Christmas to everyone they come in contact with who greets them. you all know what I mean. In fact I have got hope trained now all you need to say is Ho Ho Ho and you get a "Merry Christmas"
    Christianity is now they one thing that appears to be allowed to discriminated against.

    Don't let it be. This is our freedom. Just because we don't go around using extremist methods when we don't get our way just because we seem to take what is thrown at us does not mean we should fade into the background. It's back to the old wristband WWJD. I can assure you he did not shun away confrontation!!

    MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete