Thursday, January 21, 2010

Miserable.


That's what I am. And really, I shouldn't be at all. But see, I went to the dentist today.

I don't believe in dentistry. I guess it's a necessary evil, but to me, it's just plain evil. I hate it.

It hurts. It's uncomfortable. It's expensive. It's painful. And you know what, I know pain. I can handle pain. I'm not braggin' but I had five kids sans epidural. I'm as tough as the next patient. BUT dental pain is like torture. At least with labour, once the pain is over you get a beautiful gift of a baby. With dentistry, the pain of the procedure is equal in pain to standing at the desk and paying the bill.

I had two cavities. I should know better. My excuse is that I had not been to the dentist for eleven years. No joking. E-LEV-EN. That's how much I loathe the experience. And after the mind-altering, nerve-wracking, head-rush-causing, chinese-torture-like discomfort I just experienced this afternoon, I probably will leave it for another eleven years.

So, the moral? Add a new resolution to the year's list. I WILL brush and floss like a fiend for the rest of the year and forevermore to never have to live through an afternoon like this one again.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll look back on this post and think that I exaggerated a little, but at this moment in time, I'm feeling rather sorry for my own self.

5 comments:

  1. I hear ya sister! My recent bout of mouth pain was mood altering for several days. Knowing I got through it and am absolutely FINE now is not helping me get back to have the rest of the work done. I don't want to feel that in my mouth again. I think your mouth and my knee need a bit more rest... no cold air on your new fillings and no icy missteps for my yicky knee. I'm declaring a sleep in tomorrow. - wend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now I feel better. Last time I went to the dentist was about 5 years ago, and like you, it was because I had a cavity so I had no choice. Sam hasn't been in an uber long time either. Lucky for us, we both come from a line of pretty strong teeth...Sam's never had a cavity, and that was my only one. But everytime i go to the dentist i get a migraine from all their poking, sucking, and hurting! So, feel sorry for yourself...cause the dentist sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my poor friend! you sound exactly like mark, who believes that people become a dentist because A. they are sadistic or B. they love money..lol! He hates going to the dentist and will NOT go...I tell him he's a terrible example for the kids, but it doesn't seem to phase him. Poor you! I hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin! Eleven years? ELEVEN?
    I love going to the dentist, I get to lay down and close my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Er...not fun!

    I remember your awful wisdom tooth experience as a kid as well. The fact that you could hear and feel the cutting and tugging while it was going on...ewww.
    I don't blmae you for not going back to the dentist much after that whole nightmare.

    I think you had one of the best mothers growing up, but I never understood why you had to come back to school the same day after your nazi like experience with the dentist...was there some kind of attendance award that I didn't know about??!!

    ReplyDelete