Thursday, January 21, 2010

Casual Observances.

#1. It's the end of January. This means it is time to take your Christmas tree down. If you are still enjoying sitting in the glow of those white lights in the evening, get a ficus tree and toss some lights on it. Christmas is over. I know it's harsh, but it's truth.

#2. The new design of toilet paper holders has changed my life. The old kind, as seen below:


...was very difficult for some people to change. Somehow squeezing that spring-loaded little thingy was more than some folks could bear and so they left the old roll on and sort of, carefully balanced the new roll of TP on top of the cardboard insert of the old. BUT...the new kind...as seen here:
can miraculously be changed by anyone. It seems that it has brought about a new willingness in the lazy bathroom-user to switch the rolls! This is true genius and my hat goes off to the person who invented it.

#3. Grating cheese is like, the worst job in the kitchen. I'm happy to peel, scrub, wash, stir, cut, chop, whatever. But I hate grating. Is it true that a food processor makes all the difference??

#4. In and around our city, especially at bus stops, there are these poster/ads. They drive me crazy. Not because they are bad advertising or ugly, but because of what they imply about our society. I don't think these posters are wrong, no doubt they are accurate. But if they are....we're a bunch of rude and insensitive Londoners.

They are all ads for the LTC - London Transit Commission. Short for: the bus.

Poster/Ad #1: Please move all the way to the back of the bus.

Poster/Ad #2: Please offer your seat to those who need it most.

Isn't so sad that the LTC has to use advertising budget money for these kinds of messages? Should this not be common sense? common courtesy?? This drives me crazy.

I don't have the time or the energy for a full-on rant today, but I sure would like to see one. Perhaps two of my blogging, London friends could take up this cross, 'cause I'd sure like to hear Big Liver Girl or Loudshoes go off on this one.

Anyhow, that's it for today. Just some random thoughts on life. None of them very important or thrilling, but thoughts nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the little peek into your head...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese grating: So, I hate grating cheese as well. I have a food processor. I use my food processor for many things and very often, but rarely for cheese. It seems like a lot of work to pull it out and clean it after the cheese grating. i don't know. My solution to this problem : Sam grates the cheese.
    As for the advertising: I took the bus many times in London. I will tell you people do NOT offer their seats for elderly, pregnant, or woman with small children. People are rude on the bus, however, i doubt it is just London. The bus used to make me so angry...lol.

    ReplyDelete