Wednesday, April 28, 2010

All I Ever Needed to Know In Life, I Learned from Ravioli

I've done it. I've tried 48 new recipes.

This was my new years resolution and it has been accomplished. Never before in the history of my life has a resolution been accomplished before May 1. Never again, I'm sure. Unless it's to gain weight, shop more, or something along those lines. The key to a successful resolution is....you gotta like it. And I liked it.

I'll post the list of the 48 recipes on another post, another day. But I want to focus on my final recipe, the last hurrah.

I decided to make my own ravioli. Here's a little background:

A bunch of friends (and me) went to Milestones restaurant for dinner on March Break. Two of us had the Butter Nut Squash Ravioli. It was amazing. I loved it. I wanted more.

I started googling ravioli recipes and found several and then I discovered videos of how to make ravioli. Several of them ~ and they looked like fun.

I got myself a couple of the necessary tools (a checkered pin and a ravioli/pastry cutter in pics above and below) and I was off to the races.

I decided to make two kinds. The butter nut squash version was for me and the Unmentionable One and a cheese version was for the kids.

Here's a pic of some of them sitting ready to be cooked.


I didn't take pics along the way because my hands were covered in cheese and squash puree.

I think they look like little pillows.


See? This little playmobil guy did too! (Thank you, Jack)



My biggest concern was having them burst in the water. I'd heard tales of this woe on the internet. Makes the water gross and the ravioli, well, empty.

Here they are -- no bursting so far!
And, the final analysis:
Yum!
Butternut Squash Ravioli with tomato sauce, goat cheese, toasted pecans and fresh basil.

Thank you, Milestones!

Note:
Although this was a tasty meal, it was a very small meal. I didn't take pictures of all the kids eating peanut butter sandwiches after they were done the ravioli. Next time, double the recipe.


2 comments:

  1. Very impressive! Homemade ravioli is QUITE a feat!
    I've made it a couple of times, with considerably less stunning results...it looks fabulous! What did the Playmobile guy think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Word Er!! You are a machine!!

    I have never made ravioli, but it looks delish!!

    Seriously, when are you inviting me over to dinner?!!

    I will be very good and won't make a peep except when Jack and I throw food at each other, other than that you won't even know that I am there!

    ReplyDelete