Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Unhappy Birthday

Today was Jack's fourth birthday. He was so excited when he woke up this morning. All he could think about was presents, cake, and a party.

Before you get too excited, let me explain that parties at our house are not really that exciting. We don't do, rather I don't do kid birthday parties very well. They scare me. A party here consists of the dinner of your choice, a cake and a couple of presents. May be there might be balloons...may be not. However, we still celebrate, sing at the top of our lungs and have fun.

Not today.

It started out alright, that's for sure. Jack was excited. All of us (including my husband) went out for lunch to celebrate. We did a few errands this afternoon and then went home to cook, bake a cake, wrap gifts etc.

Not only am I crappy at kid birthday parties, I'm crappy at cakes. Really, really crappy. Jack wanted a dirt-bike cake. Here's what I think when I hear that: put a dirt bike on top of a slab cake. But this year, I stepped it up a notch. I didn't make a slab cake. I made a layer cake. Wowza...now you're impressed. Funny thing about layer cakes is that they need waaaaaay more icing than slab. Whoops.

About an hour before the big party, Jack starts acting tired and a little whiny. His cheeks get red and before I know it, he's got a nasty fever and is not the least bit interested in a party. As I put the finishing touches on the ugliest cake ever (read: take a dirt bike, shove it on the top of the cake and toss on some store-bought green icing to look like grass), and get supper on the table, he's fast asleep on the couch.

We ate dinner as he slept. We had cake and icecream as he slept. We watched him sleep while we opened his presents. I'm kidding...we're not that mean. But here's my big four year old boy, celebrating his happy day...comatose.
Oh, and in case you think I'm just being modest about being the absolute WORST cake decorator on the planet....here's People's Exhibit A:
I rest my case.

7 comments:

  1. Oh. Dear. Well, the dirtbike looks good . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing ventured, nothing gained???

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't kid yourself...he would have loved it... if he was conscious. kids dont' care about how they look. Is he better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the new blog look!

    Poor birthday boy...
    Ya know what though.. All I really want to do is sleep on MY birthday!
    And nevermind, that cake is perfect!

    Besides, anyone can go and buy a cute cake, you can't buy an awesome homeschool mom like you!(at least I don't think you can, if you know different, I might be interested and so might my children)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, that cake makes me feel so much better...only because i think you are basically super-mom, and if you can make a cake like that and still be as awesome as you are, maybe there is hope for me! Maybe my kids won't hate me for life because their 4th birthday cake wasn't perfect...lol. I love your posts....i know you are really busy, but you gotta blog more, i want to be a fly on your wall..lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can make me a cake any day; no plastic toys required.
    Poor Jack, what a way to spend your birthday. Thing 1 spent her 8th birthday party puking in the bathroom while all her guests enjoyed the magician I had hired. Hopefully, Jack can enjoy his "party" another day; he can't read a calendar!

    ReplyDelete