Monday, April 12, 2010

Never Again.

I had a really busy weekend. Lots of stuff going on...good stuff, fun stuff but lots nonetheless.

This was the kind of busy that had nothing to do with my family -- most of it was work that had to be done for soccer, away from the house. So I was out for most of the weekend, leaving my husband (whom, by the way, is trying to limit his "virtual footprint" so I am no longer able to talk about him on my blog or on facebook. -- that's a whole other very interesting and amusing post) and my kids to handle things on their own.

Hmmmmm....wanna know how that went?

Not too bad. On Saturday when I left for the afternoon/evening to travel to the States to pick up some equipment, my last words to He-Who-Cannot-Be-Mentioned were: "I want to come home to five live children and 1 happy husband." And when I did get home, that's what I found.

On Sunday afternoon, I had a soccer event here in town that took me away all afternoon again. On the way home, in the van, as my sister-in-law is talking to my brother on her cell phone, he casually mentions that I should take a peek at my eldest son's leg when I get home. A simple statement....but an understatement.

When I get home, things were a bit crazy because we were all heading out to church and I was bit late. Not until I get to church and see the large patch of gauze on my son's leg, do I remember to ask him about it.

So buddy, what happened to your leg?

I chopped it with a machete.

Pardon me? I thought I heard the word machete?

Yep. I was cutting a tree with a machete in the bush and I missed and hit my leg.

Where was your dad?

Right there.

Where did ya get the machete?

From dad.




Let's just end the conversation right there. But it did go on. Oh yes.

After a consult in the church kitchen with several dear ladies who used to be nurses, we went to my brother's house (he's a First Aid Master, loves this kind of stuff, has all the gear and has been very well-trained) and he cleaned and patched up the leg. I then called my friend who is a doctor and asked her about tetanus. We're up to date so all is well.

And yet again another story to add to the list. Poisoned spears from Papau-New Guinea, Air Soft guns and teeth, and now machete scars. Lovely.

I am never leaving again.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word!!

    That is hilarious!

    Poisoned spears? I don't know if I wanna know?! :)

    Glad to hear that the kids were MOSTLY in one piece when you got home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...i don't know if I should be thankful for Sam, or concerned, as my kids are not yet at an age where they can get a machete from their Dad...however, I can almost see it happening....

    ReplyDelete