Monday, June 14, 2010

To Heck with the Dress.



I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Is that how you even spell conundrum? I have a wedding to go to this summer and I need a dress. I was thinking a sundress. I was thinking that I would walk into the mall and purchase a sundress. I was wrong.

I have been kinda looking for this dress a couple of times now. I've been to two or three shops, good ones, that actually sell dresses but I'm struggling.

Now, I'm not an old lady. But I'm not super trendy. I am the jeans and t-shirt mom. They're nice jeans and a clean t-shirt (most days) but I don't wear super-trendy stuff. So buying a dress is a problem.
.

Dilemma #1:
I saw a cute dress today in the window of a shop at the mall. The mannequin was wearing it. She lookrd nice, despite her lack of a head. I stood there and stared....

What kind of a bra do you wear with that? Do you wear one at all? This is a problem. Now the dress I saw was not the dresses pictured below exactly, but the neck line was the same. Please, I'm begging you, educate me on what sort of undergarment goes with this??
Can anyone help me here?

Then I see these in the store and I think I actually shuddered:

Oh heavens.

Yes, these are acid-washed leggings. I am afraid of these. Can you imagine trying these on, let alone purchasing them?

Dilemma #2:
This is about boobs. I don't want to show my boobs. And frankly, I'm tired of seeing other women's boobs.
And I don't want to wear a strapless dress. But there are very few dresses out there that are not strapless. In my opinion, there are only two options when wearing a strapless dress:
a. you end up hiking up the front of your dress all day
or
b. the dress is so tight it stays up, however, it's so tight, you get back-fat bunching up above the top of the dress. Believe me, I've seen it. It's not the look I'm after.

Dilemma #3:
Dresses that are so short they are actually shirts. I'm seeing this everywhere I go. Do women not have to bend over anymore? How on earth would I pick up my one year old son wearing a dress like that? Are you supposed to wear little leggings underneath it?

Are their classes on this stuff I can sign up for?

Dilemma #4:
I bought a dress last week. At the grocery store. I know, I know, I can do better. But it was one of those cute t-shirt style dresses and I liked it...and it was like $14, so I threw it in with the bananas and the diapers.
I get home. I put on the dress. I go outside and catch a glimpse of myself in the reflection off our black truck. I am in need of a slip.
Do girls these days even know about slips? Is this like, so out of date it's like mentioning a corset? Oh wait, corsets are back....we just call them Spanx now.

So I went in the house and put on a slip. I had to do some serious digging to find it.

I'm not trying to rant or rave or be silly here, my dear reader. I'm honestly wondering what to do. Is there some way of getting an education on these issues before going out into public and making a complete fool of myself?

Or should I just go to the wedding in some nice linen pants and a cute top?

I'm counting on you to comment here. I'm begging, pleading, typing on my knees right now...

Help wanted. Help NEEDED!

12 comments:

  1. Hey Erin- I've been looking for a dress for Mary's graduation recently. Have you tried RW&CO? There were some classier-looking dresses there, you can see a few of them at . I actually really wanted to buy the second one there, the lavender one, but they didn't have my size. There were also some pretty nice white ones in the window. I also saw some slightly less formal, more fashion-y sundresses at the Gap, which were also slightly cheaper. You might also have some luck at Mexx. Hope this helps!
    -Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, for some reason it didn't show the RW&CO website: http://www.rw-co.com/default.aspx?action=collection&language=en&id=5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I'm totally with you on this. I don't understand fashion today. The fact that women will wear a skirt/dress that is so short that they spend the entire time they are wearing it tugging and pulling it down so their butt doesn't hang out is beyond me. As for how to wear a bra with some of these dresses....well you've seen me I don't have small boobs so don't even get me started on that one!! I think RW&Co is a good choice to look, but also your idea of some nice linen pants and a cute top sounds good to me. Comfy too. Good luck, but I'm sure you'll look beautiful no matter what, you already are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Annie. I'll go back to the mall and try a couple of those stores. I'll keep looking...I have a month to find something appropriate.

    Sandy, I'm with you, girl. And the linen pants and cute top might just be where I end up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin- Boy do I share your sentiments. I am starting to feel really old, and I didn't think I was that old, but maybe I am?
    I went shopping for a dress recently too. Not for a wedding. It had just been awhile since I had a new dress and I wanted one. First of all, half of the clothes on the rack, i couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be a long shirt or a super short dress! They should label those things! ANd then I was astonished to realize the 80s were back. I HATE 80s clothing. Needless to say, I never bought a dress that day.
    Also, FYI for the first dress you mentioned, strapless bra is needed, but again, with small children, do you really want to go there? lol. Small children definitely determine your attire if you don't want to flash the whole crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you could totally wear the dresses pictured here... with no bra... i guess unless its super thin fabric in which case a strapless would work. I want you to wear a dress, because you are a GIRL and (I agree with "Sandbox") a gorgeous one at that. The world deserves to see you all decked out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. here's another idea, go out on a date and have "the one who shall not be mentioned" help choose a dress for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin~ Have you tried Reitmans? They really do have clothes for real life there. Even if you dont' find a dress, there are plenty of lovely tops and skirts suitable for a wedding, and their prices are incrediblly reasonable. Also, give Mark's Work Wearhouse a try; they don't have a huge selection of dresses, but the ones they have are practical as well as pretty. Some even come with the bra built right in.
    My daughter was looking in one of my bureau drawers for something the other day and pulled out a slip and asked "what's this?" I guess slips really have gone the way of bloomers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. teehee..the last dress i bought was at the grocery store, too! a cute littel teeshirt dress..what can ni say, we may have the same dress. sigh. i am no help. i am now officially a prude, and there are no clothes for me...wishing you luck though!! can you sew? or hire someone to sew?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, my gosh, I am totally laughing!
    I own zero dresses. I hope I don't have an event this summer, I think I'd rather skip it than buy a dress.

    Why is everything SO short? Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wear a dress or cute skirt and top! You would be so cute and feminine!!

    Although, I think the dresses you pictured are scary short! And the jeans, uh, ya, I agree with your sentiments exactly...FRIGHTENING!

    I buy all of my clothes at the grocery store, so embarassing. I have not stepped in a mall in SO long I would not have a clue in how to shop for a dress. I would love to buy some long flowy skirts though so I might need to actually enter one.

    Do you not own a strapless bra? That is what I wear with all of my sundresses. The slip thing...I seriously need one, but I do wear my trusty spanx or rather fanx as I lovingly refer to them as. lol.
    Won't leave home without em! :)

    ReplyDelete