Monday, September 22, 2008

Battle Stations Ready!

Living with a 2 year old is sometimes like being on the battle field...at least to me it is.

Jack is a pesky little thing at times. The crying, the hollering and the fussing is something that wears a person down. I love him to pieces. I think he's hilarious and adorable, sweet and cuddly -- but there are moments (long moments sometimes) that he is just plain terrible.

I just finished a 20 minute battle with him. First off, I'd like to say that I won. My mantra when living with a 2 year old (and may be when the kids are 16, this will be my mantra again) is "I have to win. I have to win." Because, in all honesty, it's true.

I am the mom. I have to win.

Here's the battle scene re-enacted:

Jack: "More milk"
Me: "Where's your bottle?"
Jack: "More milk!"
Me: "let's find your bottle."

(Five minutes looking all over the house for a bottle because he cut off all the nipples to all his bottles except one)

Me: "Here's a cup with milk, we can't find any bottle."
Jack: (screaming with tears) "No."
Me: "But you lost your bottle and now we don't have one."
Jack: "No want to."
Me: "What??"

And the saga continues....
As if you want to read 20 minutes worth of it. So, how did I win?? I took him by the hand, sat down on the couch, looked him in the eye as I held his hands and explained clearly about how we have lost his bottle, we don't have anymore cause he cut them up and now he has to have a cup.

Jack: "NO WANT TO!"
Me: "Wanna go to Auntie Marshy's??"

The battle is done. The art of distraction is BY FAR the best maneuver I've got.
So -- off to Auntie Marshy's for piano lessons we go.
If you are a parent of a darling little 2 year old (and I know you're out there...) then hang in there, stay tough, don't give in and make sure that the battle scene you're headed for is one that is worth fighting for and winning. Sometimes it's necessary to say no, but often it's better to find a way to say yes.

By the way, Nate got home safe and sound from his canoe trip. There were 3 canoe tippings (man, I wish I could've seen them) but other than that, it was gorgeous weather and good times.

And also, there will be NO photos of my hair post-fire incident. First of all, I never took any and secondly, do you think I'd really post a pic of me with burnt eyebrows and bangs?? :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! My 2 year old would never act like that.... Hope is constantly asking for a "Biccy" that is a cookie to you out there. That can get super annoying but she means no harm I can understand her wanting biccy's she is actually starting to get picky and learning to speak more so it is now "Chocolate biccy" I jsut give her standard ones so I win. I can't wait to meet Jack he sounds like someone I could fuel with mischief!
    Any Video evidence of the canoe tippings would be good. You need this stuff on camera this is life and you don't want to miss it.

    ReplyDelete