Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Why I Sew Costumes


I am a bad sewer...I would never ever lead anyone to believe that I could possibly make something with a sewing machine that should be worn in public.
Except for halloween costumes....

I get that halloween is a bit of a controversial event in some circles, but I like it. We have a neighbourhood of aging people and my kids are the ONLY kids in our block that go out. We might get a couple of teenagers knocking at the door, but that's it. It brings great joy for our elderly neighbours to see the kids all dressed up in a fun costume and give them some candy (handfuls, bucketfuls usually because they know no one else is coming).

There's nothing like the smell and feel of the once-annual use of my sewing machine that used to be my grandmothers. I pull it out of the furnace room (it's baby blue) and it runs like a dream as soon as I put my foot to the pedal. The smell is a cross between sewing oil, mildew and a fabric store. I breathe it in deeply...and then cough!

Here are the rules in our house regarding Halloween and costumes...

1. If I make it, I get to pick what you are being. This is very true. If I am going to sit at a sewing machine for hours and then walk around the neighbourhood with you, then I'm going to like what you are.

This started years ago when we just had the 2 boys. My best costume ever for them was when Ethan was Colonel Sanders and Nolan was the plump juicy chicken.
This is a bad photo of it, but you can see the Colonel in his white suit, black ribbon tie and moustache. The chicken refused to get in the bucket for us, but I just love his yellow juicy legs...if only I had some herbs and spices...

The kids have also been the three blind mice, cowboys, knights and a princess etc.

2. I must always ALWAYS sew with fleece. Because it's warm and Halloween is cold.

3. I must always ALWAYS sew with fleece. Because it's extremely forgiving and you cannot see your seams (hence it doesn't matter what colour your thread is, so use up all those old bobbins.)

4. I must alway ALWAYS sew with fleece. Because it doesn't fray so there are no hems required.

5. I must be inspired with a costume idea or it's a no go. Like the year I was pregnant with Jack and the kids wore their camo pants and I painted their faces green and they went as soldiers.

6. This is the only time I would let anyone in public with a costume I made on them...why, you ask? Because when you go out for Halloween, it's dark.

So that's why I sew costumes. I bet you're dying to know what the kids are going to be this Friday. Well I'm not going to tell you...but it's a good one. Not as good as the Colonel and the chicken but close. When I'm done I'll put them on the kids and post a pic for you to see....but you'll have to wait until Friday!

5 comments:

  1. I love those juicy little yellow legs too! so so cute! :) i am so impressed that you sew, fleece or not! i don't even know where my machine is..although i'll have to dig it out here soon bc i always do make my kids a baby blankie. :)ok, my girls would be right there with your kids! sammy was an angel, and skylar dressed as a pioneer girl..poor thing, the kids dressing as hannah montana were like "what ARE you..an old lady?" at the brownies party last night. i thought she was cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo erin. Excellent terms and conditions and an outcome to be proud of. Even if it does make you too tired to run in the mornings...

    I have a 50% t or t ratio here with lady luck (hmmm, looks a LOT like the egyptian princess costume from grade 6 project... with my wedding crinolin thrown in because... well because every girl (except maybe Kylie) has a deep need to wear a crinolin (sp?) My leprochan has difficulty NOT being cute any day of the year, so will be particularly adorable in my shiny green running tights and Pete's green sports jacket (from when he won the masters) with a belt and a wee round brimmed hat.

    In my glorious career as a halloween seamstress, I made a generic fuzzy brown suit for my precious first born and then adapted it for a few years to various creatures (bat, rabbit, dog, cat) in moments of creativity. Alas the little ones are tradtionally whatever they can fashion from the crap lying around here on a good day. Fortunately my wedding dress hasn't been found yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin...I have three words for you: hot glue gun. You would be *amazed* at what you can construct with almost anything and hot glue. I've made a bumble bee,a mad scientist,a spider,a geisha girl,a prom queen, Batman and a skunk, without taking out the sewing machine once. (I am trying to convince Thing 1 to go out at Mrs. Roper from Three's Company this year, but she's not interested.)
    I did love the Colonel Sanders and chicken idea....too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay,Erin, when i started reading your post I was like, "what? Erin is not a sewer? " As in the things on the street that drains the rain, that ninja turtles jump out of...i think that's how you spell sewer too, right? If I am wrong, I won't point out I was the spelling bee champ in grade 3.
    Anyways, I am off topic. Thanks for your sewing tips, because, although I like to think I am rather domestic, I can't sew on a button to save my life. You have give me inspiration to possibly attempt to sew a costume next year...of course, with fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I hd of checked this blog out earlier but alas I have been beaten to it by an other and there is no place for my one line gag
    "I am a bad sewer" in that case your sewing must really stink!

    Well maybe next time.
    BOO!!

    ReplyDelete