Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Christmas...


I have to admit that I am starting to feel the spirit of Christmas rising up in me. It doesn't take much, mind you. Some snow on the ground, a Christmas tune or two, and I'm pretty much ready to go.
I am not, however, one of those crazies who has their tree up the day after Halloween. In fact, currently, there isn't one Christmas decoration to be seen in my house. Oh, but soon, very soon, that will all change.
The rule of thumb in this house is that American Thanksgiving must be over-with before the Christmas season can really begin...and seeing as tomorrow is American Thanksgiving, I can start decorating on Friday. But the tree, it won't show up for weeks.

This afternoon the kids and I went to see "A Christmas Carol". It was a really really good play and the kids enjoyed seeing live theatre. There was actually quite a bit of singing of Christmas carols in it. That's all I needed to start thinking thoughts of garlands, baking, Christmas cards and the like.

There are a few things that bring Christmas to mind for me, not your typical things like mall decorations, outdoor lights and Christmas flyers...but here they are in no particular order.

1. Clementines. When I see these in the grocery store, I know it's Christmas. When I start to peel my first one, the smell that rises to my nose is a smell of Christmas time.

2. Egg Nog. As soon as it's in the grocery store, I must have it. I didn't know I even liked the stuff till I married Nate but now it's a tradition and even the kids love it.

3. The Festive Special at Swiss Chalet. As soon as I see an add, I need to go. I don't even eat the stuffing or the cranberries but what does that matter??

(Funny how all these things are food.)

Sure, there are other things that bring Christmas to mind, but these are the sure signs that the season is upon us.
I'm sure I'll be decorating the house this weekend, with a cup of egg nog and the Christmas music on and I very much look forward to it.
One of my finest childhood memories is of my mom doing the same thing...baking, decorating and the like. My dad refused to help her. As she was in the living room putting the decorations out, he was sitting at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper and having a cup of coffee. (He is completely against any Christmas music, decorations or shopping before Dec. 15th.) As he sat in peace at the table, my mother's voice came hollering in from the living room. What were her words of comfort and joy??
"GET IN HERE AND MAKE MEMORIES WITH ME, YOU JERK!"

We kids have never forgotten it...and repeat the story every year just to get a good laugh. So get out there, decorate your homes...and make some memories!!

4 comments:

  1. This is so funny...as I read through your list of things that remind you of Christmas, I realized I had done all three....I have a centerpiece on my kitchen table made out of clementines (i'll have to take a picture), I have gained much more than pregnancy weight due to my obsession with drinking eggnog from the moment it was on the shelf, and yes, I have already had the festive special at Swiss Chalet.
    I try to wait till after Remembrance Day to put up my tree so as to not drive Sam too crazy, but if I had it my way, it would be up on Nov. 1st! When Sam feels a little annoyed at my early start to Christmas, I remind him that we could always do it like it's done at his parents house...sometimes decorating the tree Christmas morning....BEFORE gifts...lol. After I remind him of that, he doesn't seem to mind the tree so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry for the late comment but I was too busy enjoying American thanks giving Turkey and fellowship. No it is full steam to Christmas. The best time of the year. I love it, never had egg nog nor really heard of it I just thought it was some alcholoic american christmas drink. Oranges don't remind me of Christmas at all. Christmas to me is..... Carols especially played by the Salvation army brass band. Lights lots of bright lights! But too be honest its the food I enjoy most, Turkey dinner is the finest delight of the year and I could eat them all month then left over turkey dinners and sandwiches.. Oh yes!! The big thing I will miss this year is our usaul stocking of the fridge/freezer and inviting lots of people round for finger food and fun. I need to find friends over here for that for next year 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ihope you re sending out one of these awesome family photos!

    ReplyDelete