Monday, November 24, 2008

Family


In writing about Uncle Alec and the way family reacts in a crisis, I got a really nice email from my own aunt listing the times in her life when she needed family and we/they were there for her. Again I think it's awesome and something I am so so grateful for.

I can remember the night we brought Jack home from the hospital. Nate got me settled with the kids at home but because his mom had been hospitalized the same day, he wanted to go and have a quick visit with her. Moments after he left, things began to fall apart. I was trying to do too much and in turning my back, one of my kids picked up the new baby...and promptly dropped him. Before long all five of us were in tears.

I picked up the phone and called my sister. I could barely speak on the phone and nothing intelligible came out of my mouth, I'm sure. Her response? "I'll be there in two minutes. Hang on." And she was. It almost brings tears to my eyes to think of it. How when I need something, I can actually think of a list of family and friends who would drop everything to come and help.

How blessed am I!

My aunt finished her email with this line...
"You were so right to say that family comes to our aid. Shopping doesn't matter. Eating doesn't matter. Comfort and ease don't matter. But being together where we can hug and cry and laugh and touch...is priceless."

Amen, Aunt Carol. You hit the nail right on the head.

3 comments:

  1. what a great family pic! i've been awol for awhile..i'm sorry to hear about uncle alec and SO glad to hear he's doing better. you're so right, family, and certain friends, the ones who will drop everything and just come, what a priceless gift. praying for you all! love darci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify I was only joking when I said how do you know they would help you, of course they would help you who wouldn't?
    It is always great to get reassuring words from people. It really should never surprise us how when the chips are down there is always someone and sometimes some you might not even expect that are there to help carry the burden. It all goes back to our human nature and being made in the image of our Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly are blessed Erin with your family...

    ReplyDelete