Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Difference Btwn Me and Nate


Today is a green light day. Do you know what this means?? This means that, if you are a hunter, this is the BIG day. The deer are out. The deer are active. The moon is full (nothing to do with contraception, I assure you.). This is the day.

Nate has never really been a hunter...until this year. I don't mind it as a hobby, I guess. I mean, I know that my meat comes from animals. I can understand that one must kill an animal before one eats it.

However, sitting in a tree stand, dressed from head to toe in green and brown is, well, more than I am willing to do. I acknowledge that men are different and that some of them want to "bring home the bacon" in more ways than just a pay check. But there are a few things I don't understand about hunting....

1. Why bowhunters (those who hunt by bow and arrow) must wear green, brown, tree-looking clothing, but gun hunters have to wear hi-visibility orange. This is absurd. Can the deer see colour or not? Let's set the record straight and recognize that all this camo stuff is just a marketing ploy by hunting companies to make some extra bucks. Really -- I have seen camo underwear (do the deer have x-ray vision??) and even camo socks?? Pourquoi?

2. Spraying yourself with deer-pee scented stuff. Deer pee? That's just yucky. Boys are weird.

3. Going out for a full day/week/couple of weeks with your friends only to go into the woods alone and NOT talk to each other the entire time. Now this is the most absurd thing of all to me...and exactly why Nate would never take me hunting. You don't get to chat. Ridiculous!

So, here I sit in my cozy home at my fancy computer while Nathan is out today (on this green light day) sitting in a tree stand, only yards from my brother, NOT saying a word.

Whatever floats your boat...

2 comments:

  1. they do make camo bedding you know.."merry christmas"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely by now you must understand men can spend quality time with each other and not say a word? I must say I do enjoy walking through all the stores and seeing every type of camo gear you can get and it is funny that some of it is orange, you are right either it needs to be or it doesn't.
    I qutie like the idea of hunting myself but know for sure I would think its great right up to the point when I actually hit something, then I would feel bad. I would need some kind of weapon that hits, kills, prepares and cook the meat in one go then I would be happy at the end.

    ReplyDelete