Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Good Ol' Fashioned Taffy Pull



I'm just wondering if any one of you faithful readers have ever done a homemade taffy/candy pull? Nate's cousins family has had this great family tradition for years and it sounds so cozy and homespun that I'd like to give it a go.

But before I do, I'd also like to find out if it's worth my time. Has anyone tried this? Is it more work than I believe it to be? Does the mess far outweigh the memories or possible photographs I could get out of this? I hate to think that I'd get halfway through it and think, "This was a stupid idea."

So....if you've done it, let me know...honestly. I want to know the truth...'cause if it's easier to just drive to the candy store, I'm all for it.

5 comments:

  1. What is Taffy (other than a Welshman) and why would you want to pull it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know too!
    I have always loved the idea, and have pulled this one recipe out every Christmas thinking that would be the year. Then I start to imagine the what if's....
    Will I be pulling taffy out of hair?
    Out of nostrils, ears and other body crevices? These are valid concerns when you are involving boys!
    Will I still be chiseling taffy off my appliances and kitchen in August?
    I always end up resorting to some other fun Christmas recipe that doesn't seem to have so many concerning repercussions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course it will be a messy affair but that usually results in the best photographs and memories. Plus give it a few months and al you will remember is the fun until you go to do it agian and say "oh yes no i remember I said I would never do this again!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. mrs. loudshoes will know how... she knows everything about candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, this is an activity that I have never, ever attempted, along with spinning sugar, deep frying Twinkies and attempting any recipe that starts with "on the first day...". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete