Monday, November 17, 2008

Pick More Daisies...


Many years ago, (I think I was 18) I went to a conference somewhere...about something out-doorsy. All I can remember is that we were at some camp around Peterborough, the food was terrible and I learned to do things like howl like a wolf and plan activities for kids. This is what you get when your college education program starts with the word "Recreation."

Anyhow, the key-note speaker (yes. there was one...despite the fact he played the penny-whistle during his speeches.) read this great poem and I have never been able to find it. I just did a little searching on the information super-highway and finally I have it.

This is my favourite poem. It was written by an 85 year old woman who was asked to look back on her life. Here's what she said...

"If I Had My Life to Live Over" by Nadine Stair

I'd make more mistakes next time. I'd relax. I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have been on this trip. I would take fewer things seriously.
I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers.
I would eat more ice cream and less beans. (amen, sister!)
I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

You see I'm one of those people who live sensibly and sanely, hour after hour, day after day.
Oh, I've had my moments, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have more of them.
In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.
Just moments, one after another, instead of trying to live so many years ahead of each day.

I've been one of those persons who never goes anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle and a rain coat.
If I had to do it over again, I'd travel lighter than I have.

I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.
I would go to more dances.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds.
I would pick more daisies.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand why it took you so long to find that poem considering the only bit you probably remember is "pick more daisies".
    I could not possibly eat more ice-cream or beans that would be just wrong for me to do so.
    My advice is "wear sunscreen" no hold on that was baz lurman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little did ya know that that college "recreation education" would prove to be mighty handy!!

    What would our HIGHDAY be without our Awesome Mrs. Weston!!

    Rather dull, I think.
    There are a lot of happy kids Friday morning cause of you!

    ReplyDelete