Wednesday, November 19, 2008

We Make Our Plans...


This weekend is supposed to be a busy one...and until yesterday afternoon I was pretty excited about it.

Friday night, Nate and I & my brother and his wife are heading to Hamilton for a Christmas party for one of the soccer leagues we run. It's a free dinner out and some time to hang with two of my most favourite relatives.
Then on Saturday, my mom, sister, sister-in-law and I are going to head for Boutique Target in the great USA for some Christmas shopping, a meal at the Olive Garden etc.

How plans change in a moment...the blink of an eye.

Nate's uncle (he's one of the really good ones) had a major stroke yesterday and is in hospital in Huntsville, not really expected to live. Uncle Alec is wonderful...I met him before I even met Nate when I worked at camp. When we worked together, he was fun, full of life and loved, loved, LOVED a good prank. We spent a lot of time pulling pranks on one another and getting a good laugh.

It sucks that he might be dying in hospital.

I don't really care about the free dinner and the shopping, but it just struck me how we make our plans for each day, each week, each weekend, and then one thing happens and we are stopped in our tracks. Plans change...quickly.

On top of it all, Nate's mom and her two sisters (and their spouses) are all supposed to leave for a 10 ten tour of Israel on Sunday. How do they go when their brother might take his last breath while they are gone?

The good news is that Uncle Alec is doing really well right now. The stroke is a tricky one...not your typical clot but a brain hemorrhage (spelling??) so currently, he is sitting in the Huntsville hospital, chatting away to his family, siblings, & grand kids, cracking jokes and being the life of the ICU.

I hate to think of what might actually be happening this weekend, and it brings to mind the verse that says, "Man make his plans but God orders our steps." How true and yet how amazing that we can trust Him. Whatever happens, I rest in that.

2 comments:

  1. I will certainly send a prayer up for the situation.
    remember if you are ever heading down the old 401 to the states call in and see your old pal, we are 5 minutes off the 401.

    ReplyDelete