Monday, December 29, 2008

It's Over!!

I must admit that I am so very glad that Christmas is over. I love Christmas. Or so I thought.

I promise not to wax on endlessly about my conclusions of the Christmas season ~ all the work, the high expectations, the excitement, the clean up etc. It's a wonderful time of year and I'm happy to have it overwith.

But it's back to the grind...and I'm excited about this. We had Christmas on the 25th and on the 26th with our families and by noon on the 27th, the tree was in the front yard, the decorations were down, the extra sweets were in the garbage and all the new loot had found a home.

I sat in our living room, took a deep breath and finally felt like there truly was Peace on Earth.

As for our spindly little tree...the kids nicknamed it "The Twig." I'll post a pic as soon as I can. In our 12 years of marriage we have never yet paid for our real tree. My only explanation is this: Nate. We have cut them down from a friends forest, taken them on the 24th from the Home Depot dumpster and even removed the one from our church and put it in our living room. I am not proud of this but somehow it's become a part of who we are. This year Nate rushed to a friends property, ran about 8 feet into the forest, found the first tree under 6 feet tall and snapped it off at the base. Okay, may be he cut it down, but he didn't need to. He could've pulled the thing out by it's roots. But no matter how it gets in our living room, all we need to do is throw a few lights on, toss a decoration or two at it, and voila! It's Christmas.

Hope you all had a wonderful few days...and you're probably just as happy as I am that the whole deal is done with.

3 comments:

  1. Never happy to see the end of Christmas! As I'm only a big kid now the excitement of opening and getting gifts has gone but I still love the opportunity to try and visit with family and friends that perhaps you don't see too often or indeed perhaps only at this time of year. Eating turkey left overs for as many days as possible is also one of my favourite things.
    Perhaps I was too generous with my Christmas tree photo on your facebook pge? I look forward to seeing the real pic.
    Now just New Years day to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not explain how happy I was to see the end of Christmas this year. I, too, am a serious Christmas lover, but somewhere between the toddler, the pregnancy, and way too much travelling to see family with no baby gates and homes filled with breakable items, Sam and I were exhausted!!! I, too, took my tree down on the 27th, found new homes for the millions of toys, and disposed of the christmas treats (however, I disposed of them into my belly rather than the garbage..lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe all of your Christmas festivities were done by the 27th!

    We have not been ABLE to stop until just today! (30th) Unbelievably crazy this year! Everything started the 24th and just ended last night when we got home at 11:30 pm last night.
    We have been out everyday...That's what happens when you have so much extended family with divorces and family drama and such. UGH!

    My house is trashed and I have piles of STUFF to find a place for. I think next year Len and I are going to take the kids and run for the hills for Christmas....just a thought.
    We did however have a very nice Christmas eve and Christmas day with just the kids and Lens parents here at our place.
    I LOVE Christmas, BUT I can hardly wait to take the tree down tomorrow. Today we are just breathing and enjoying each other...

    ReplyDelete