Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dropping Like Flies

Oh, this will be a blog you want to read about FOR SURE. This week at home is nothing but illness...and when I say illness, I mean Barf.

On Monday night, little Jack started tossing his cookies at about 10 pm and did so every half hour (you could set a clock to this kid) until about 2:30 am. He and I finally got some rest after that although the laundry pile had exceeded my height by that time...his bedding, my bedding, etc.

On Tuesday, he barfed a couple of times. Once on our couch. Not on the leather chairs where you can wash and wipe easily. At least it was a sunny day and the cushions could dry out on the front porch. I also came home very late from a meeting and found Jack fast asleep in his bed...which he had barfed on and hadn't even bothered to wake himself up. So I peeled the gross jammies off him, cleaned him up and started the 12th load of laundry for that day. I plopped him in my bed again, and decided to lay a thick blanket underneath him, just in case. About two minutes later he barfed on that. At least I had the forethought to lay it there.

Today, we have completely lost the battle. Kylie went down first in a less-than-dramatic way. My ten year old son however, put on a great show. He is never sick and I really think he has no recollection of ever barfing. So he was like the deer-caught-in-the-headlights, shocked by this terrible thing happening to him and barfed all over my bedroom floor (hardwood, thank the Lord.) He never even made a step to the washroom, it caught him so much by surprise. However, the sound of his sickness was just too much for Kylie and she started again.

Now, my ten year old son is still in shock by being assaulted by this nasty bug and every so often I hear him calling out a play-by-play of his feelings, just to alert me of any strange going-on in his body. I'll hear a "...there's a bubbly feeling in my stomach now." or "...my muscles are tightening up!" His voice sounds a touch panicky and I feel so bad, but it does brings some humor to me....I know, I'm a bad mother.

Nolan was not able to last very long either -- he was last to give in and did his darndest to stay strong but he was overtaken just a while ago. His was less dramatic as I have given each child the gift of a bucket and a box of kleenex in their beds. They are currently resting and listening to CD's. Jack is fast asleep.

What a day. I feel queasy. I am praying, and I mean REALLY praying that Nate and I are able to steer clear of this. I know this is a totally gross blog, but this is the stuff motherhood is made of. Betcha Angelina never has a day like this...

3 comments:

  1. oooo... and I ALMOST brought you six (fresh homemade)blueberry tarts this morning 'cause they were NOT popular here. Good thing I was lazy and ate them all myself.

    sorry to hear of the academy outbreak... that's gross. poor YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, ERIN! I hope you don't get it.

    p.s. Angelina doesn't hold a candle to you, supermom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh er, not fun!
    Now I know why you weren't there friday, thanks for not spreading the "love" ;)

    love the running commentary from eth...too too funny!

    not fun going through all that but really funny reading about it teehee...thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete