Thursday, December 10, 2009

'tis the season

It's starting to feel Christmas-y here. I'm not one for going over-board during the Christmas season but I do like a few decorations, some Christmas music, and of course, food.

By the way, thank you to a few of you who gave me some good ideas for boring-old-lunch. From Fancy Nancy's to quick homemade soups and hard-boiling eggs a dozen at a time, I think things might be improving at noon around here.

Every year I do a bit of baking, again not loads because then I just eat it or throw it out, but there are a few family favourites that need to be made every year. This afternoon I enjoyed a little bit of baking with my mother-in-law, making family recipes from their side. She is an excellent baker and makes the ultimate sugar cookie. I know you're probably thinking, "Did she just say ultimate and sugar cookie together?" But really, until you've tried them you have no idea what a real sugar cookie can taste like. My sister is jealous of my mother-in-law for many reasons (I have a good one and she doesn't) but the main one is the sugar cookies.

I think one of the fun things about baking with old family recipes is the names of the baked goods themselves. Some of my personal favourites are:
-Hello Dollies (many families make these ~ a graham crumb bottom with nuts, chippits, and coconut on top and then a whole can of sweetened condensed milk, baked till golden)
-Bugs (again many families make these ~ peanuts and chow mein noodles covered in chocolate)
-Cream Cheese Buttons (melt in your mouth no-bake cream cheese little things with a hint of mint)

Another new family fave is the big pretzel sticks dipped in milk chocolate and then rolled in Skor bits. Yum!

All this talk of food is making me want to snack ~ so I'd best be signing off and heading to the kitchen. Happy baking ~ and if you have any excellent family recipes, send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. hello dear girl! i have been thinking of you! (and composing a long letter to you in my ahead, but ahem...it is sadly still in my head..)
    i LOVE my new Christmas cd by casting crowns..can't remember the name, but the first song is a mix of 'i heard the bells..' love ya

    ReplyDelete