Monday, January 25, 2010

Resolution Updates

Resolution #1: To Try New Recipes

Well, it's now January 26th. My goal was to try 24 new recipes this year. But, because it's going so well, I'm bumping it to 48 new recipes. So far I've made 18. I'm on a roll. And I can feel my bottom growing by the minute. Turns out I love butter. I told my kids that if I wasn't married to their dad, I'd marry butter. I did actually say that.

So far only one recipe has been voted off the island. Creamy peas are a no-go here. Not a friendly, I repeat, NOT a friendly. Who would've thought that adding butter, heavy cream and sugar to peas would be not-so-tasty? Trust me on this one.

Here's some really good ones and if you like, I'll send you the recipes:
-Salsa Chicken
-French Onion Soup (to-die-for)
-Beef Bourguinon (so good that I'm making it for company next weekend)
-Chicken Petrograd a la Pete
-French Silk Pie (I did actually kiss the French Silk Pie. If butter won't marry me, I'll ask French Silk Pie)
-Jitka's White Chocolate Party Mix (I made that name up myself...can you tell? But it's so good if you like sweet with salty)
-Famous Butter Chicken (there it is again, my future spouse)
-Buttered Rosemary Buns
-Honey Wheat Bread
-Italian Meatball Soup
-Perfect Pot Roast (and it actually was perfect)

These are the super duper yummy ones. The others were good too but hey, they can't all be five star recipes. I'll keep you posted. If I make it to the 48 new ones without gaining 22 pounds, it'll be a miracle. But boy, will it have been fun to get there.

#2 - Flossing My Teeth. This resolution came a little late in the game, but since my traumatic experience at the dentist last week, I have actually flossed every single day. And made my kids do it too. For some of you out there, this is just plain common sense. Turns out I'm lacking a little in that department.

#3. I only posted my one of my new years resolutions way back when I made them. Another one is to cut down on sugar. Seems silly that I cut down on sugar and UP the butter content in my life, but that's the way it is. You can't blame me. But after watching that scary movie FOOD INC., I decided I don't want to be that statistic about diabetes. So, we're drinking way more water and cutting out any juice. I've stopped buying pop. Dessert is only on weekends....except for tonight 'cause I found this fabulous recipe for a baked apple cake, dripping in a warm carmelly sauce. So good. But now we won't have anything till Friday. At least the kids won't. I need to polish off some cake.

4 comments:

  1. Salsa Chicken
    Beef Bourguinon
    Famous Butter Chicken
    Perfect Pot Roast

    Send me those!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you are looking for a new recipe, and to cut down on sugar (I'm assuming you mean the refined stuff, and not natural?) I got a good recipe for you, but it's only for the brave.
    It's raw vegan soft serve ice cream sundays. I made it the other day for dinner guests, and everyone either liked it or pretended to like it.

    All you do is take frozen bananas and throw them in your food processor until they are a nice soft-serve consistency. Then add healthy toppings to the "ice cream". we add coconut, chia seeds, hemp seeds, homemade caramel sauce (that is made from macadamia nuts and honey and water)...the one thing I do add that is unhealthy is chocolate chips...i'm sorry, but carob, or fake chocolate has no place in my life.
    Anyways, it was yummy...my daughter loves it. Even Sam enjoyed it, and he's pretty scared of my weird food choices usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I recognize a couple of PW recipes.
    If you keep cooking her stuff you might have to add another mile to those mornings...ask me how I know.

    Or you could simply embrace the flubber...its a love/hate relationship around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apple cake sounds delish-well the caramel part was what caught my attention! Is it PW?

    ReplyDelete