Tuesday, June 8, 2010

History Repeating...


On Monday my sister and I took all our kids to the Toronto Zoo. I love the zoo. But it wasn't always that way.

Many years ago, I went to the zoo, again with my sister...and her grade 2 class. That made me about 4 years old. My mom was one of the trip moms so I got to go too. My only memory from that trip is of a dark and scary hallway of an exhibit that had glass cases on either side full of snakes, lizards and bugs.

I hated snakes, lizards and bugs. Still do.

I can recall myself, covering my face with my hands, being led by my mother down this hallway, crying my little eyes out. It was a horrible experience. I was very afraid and no amount of rational talk from my mother would calm me down. Fear is not rational, I have discovered.

So, on Monday, I walk into the same exhibit and immediately know for a fact that this is where I had my four-year-old melt down. This was the place. I did not want to go in. But I faced my fears and walked down the hallway of hell like a grown-up should.

Only moments before, history had repeated itself.

My daughter is freaked out by the Komodo Dragon. We went into that exhibit and she lost it. Tears, weeping, gnashing of teeth....the whole show. I could only get her to go through the exhibit by having her cover her face while I led her, protecting her with my body, to the end of the glass cage. Then she was fine. Sorta. At least the wailing stopped.

It was kinda funny just because I know how she felt...exactly how she felt. Fear is not rational. She did know that the Komodo wasn't getting out, she did know that it wouldn't eat her then and there but it did not matter. Even when it was bed time and the lights went out, we had a little chat about the Komodo dragon not coming and hiding in her bed. Here's how it went down...

Me: "So, even if the Komodo got out of his cage, do you think he could come to our house?"

She: "May be."

Me: "He can't."

She: "Why not?"

Me: "Because if he got out, he'd never survive walking down the 401 to get here. He'd die."

She: "Oh. Really??"

Me: "Yep. He'd eat someone in Mississauga or Guelph first and wouldn't even make it to London."

Nice, eh?? Good thing we don't live close to the zoo.

2 comments:

  1. Lily and Ella both were at the zoo on Mondy with their school! I almost went as a volunteer!! Next time you make the trek, lemme know. We've got a pass. The Komodo Dragon lives close to us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!

    Remind me to call you for a pep talk if I ever have a bad dream!

    ReplyDelete