Tuesday, June 1, 2010

In a Jam.


So today I made jam. Strawberry jam. The strawberries are in season early here, so I ran out to our local grower, The Heeman Family, and I bought a flat of beautiful red berries.

A while ago I was at my mom's and she had the most delicious homemade strawberry jam in her fridge. I ate some and felt like I'd had a burst of summer in my mouth. I asked who made it, got the recipe and was VERY excited to make this myself.

While looking on the Heeman's website, they recommended a different jam recipe, saying that it was by far the best recipe the Heeman family had ever used. That's a pretty big statement coming from strawberry experts like them.

So I decided to try both. A batch of each...and see who won this duel.

The first recipe from my mom's friend (Type A) required 4 cups of strawberries and 7 cups of sugar. Whoa. I like white sugar but even for me, that's a lot of sugar.

The second type, let's call it Type B (ingenious, I know) was far less sugar. Four cups of berries to a measly 1.5 cups of sugar. That's a big difference.

I made the first batch - it's the kind you cook and the jars have to seal and all that jazz. Total time: 1 hr. and a half. Not bad. It looked like jam. The only complaint was that it boiled over on my stove top and made a nasty red mess. Not really the jam's fault.

Type B took about 20 minutes total. Again, quite a different amount. It was simple. Basically you mash, then you stir. You stir again. You place in jars. No boiling over. Not even a chance of being burned by boiling strawberry goo.

Results: Turns out I doubled Type A because I don't know why. I have 18 jars of Type A Jam.
Type B, well, I was running low on berries by this point, so I only made 5 jars.

So about five minutes ago, I laid out a piece of brown bread, cut it in half, and put Type A on one chunk and Type B on the other. The official taste test.

Type B looked nice. I ate it first. It was so so so good. Like eating summer from a jar.

Type A looked nice. I ate it next. It tasted like strawberry jam with about 7 cups of sugar in it. I think I tasted strawberry. Mostly I tasted sweet.

So now I have 18 jars of jam I don't really like and 5 jars of jam I will never share. So if you want some strawberry jam, let me know. It's free. I just need to have the jar back so I can fill it with the good jam.

Seriously, you can have some. I'll even drop it off. For all I care, you can dump it in the garbage. I am very disappointed. Not to the point of tears or anything, but really, 18 jars of the lesser jam? What a waste.

If you want the recipe of the good jam, let me know. I'll save you the hassle!

6 comments:

  1. Here's the link for the recipe:
    http://www.heeman.ca/recipes/jam/nocookfreezerjam.html

    It's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to try it next week!! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got a chinese comment. I think.

    I am totally going to make jam #2- thank you! Our berries aren't ripe here yet because it has been raining for, oh, a MONTH without stopping. Few more weeks, I think.

    And I am still teary over your flower post. hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh er, what a pain! All those berries and all that cooking wasted! At least you can say that you were the pioneer for everyone else to now benefit from your experiment!

    I have no choice here. I have to make both types of jam every year. Len loves the freezer jam and I love cooked jam so I always have a stash of both. I will have to check and see if your Heeman recipe is different and try it out...I like that it uses less sugar...I think...sugars bad right? bummer.

    p.s. don't click on the chinese comment, I get those and they lead to sites for singles. Well, unless you are in the market for a chinese boyfriend.

    I kid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will take some jam!!! Home made jam, of any variety, is always welcome here! Believe me, I will find a way to use it!

    ReplyDelete